Skip to content ↓
Netherfield Primary School

Netherfield Primary School


We are committed to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND), supporting them to make the best possible progress.

The four broad areas of need are:

  • Cognition and Learning
  • Communication and Interaction
  • Social, Emotional and Mental Health (SEMH)
  • Sensory and Physical

What is the local offer?

  • ‘The Children and Families Bill’ was enacted in September 2014.  From this date the Local Authorities and Schools were required to publish and keep under review information about services they expect to be available for the children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND), aged 0 – 25.  This is the ‘Local Offer’.
  • The intention of the ‘Local Offer is to improve choice and transparency for families.  It will also be an important resource for parents in understanding the range of services and provision in the local area.

The School SEN Information Report

This utilises the LA offer to meet the needs of SEND pupils as determined by the school policy, and the provision that the school is able to meet.

Your child has Special Educational Needs.  What can we at Netherfield Primary School offer you?

At Netherfield Primary School we embrace the fact that every child is unique, and therefore the educational need of every child is different – this is certainly the case for children with SEND.

Please click on the 13 questions below for more information about how Netherfield Primary School can work with you to support your child.


  1.  Who are the best people to talk to in Netherfield Primary School about my child’s difficulties with learning/Special Educational Needs & Disabilities (SEND)
  2.  What are the different types of support available for children with SEND at Netherfield Primary School?
  3. How can I let the school know that I am concerned for my child’s progress?
  4. How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning at school?
  5. How is the extra support allocated to children and how do they progress in their learning?
  6. Who are the other people providing services and support to children with SEND at Netherfield Primary School?
  7. How are the teachers at Netherfield Primary School helped to work with the children with SEND and what training do the teachers have?
  8. How will the teaching be adapted for my child with SEND?
  9. How will staff at the school measure the progress of my child in Netherfield Primary School?
  10. What support do we have for you as a parent of a child with SEND?
  11. How is Netherfield Primary School accessible to children with SEND?
  12. How will we support your child when they are: joining Netherfield Primary School, leaving Netherfield Primary School or moving to another class?
  13. How will we support your child’s emotional and social development?


Q1: Who are the best people to talk to in Netherfield Primary School about my child’s difficulties with learning/Special Educational Needs & Disabilities (SEND)?

The Class Teacher is responsible for:

  • Checking the progress of your child, including planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be targeted work or additional support) and letting the Special Educational Needs team leader, Rowan Carr (SENCO) know as necessary.
  • Ensuring that you are involved in supporting your child’s learning and kept informed about the support your child is getting.
  • Writing Personal Profiles and Individual Education Plans (IEPs) based on smaller steps and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each term and planning for the next term.
  • Personalised teaching and learning for your child as identified on the schools provision map and Intervention map.
  • Ensuring that the school’s SEN Policy is followed in their classroom and for all pupils they teach with SEND.

The SENCO, Mrs Carr, supported by the SEND Team is responsible for:

  • Developing and reviewing the schools SEN Policy.
  • Co-ordinating all the support for children with SEND.
  • Ensuring that you are; involved in supporting your child’s learning, kept informed about the support your child is getting and are involved in reviewing how they are doing
  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child’s learning e.g. Speech & Language Therapy, Educational Psychologist etc.
  • Updating the schools SEN register (a system for ensuring that all the SEND needs of pupils at Netherfield Primary School are known) and making sure that the records of your child’s progress and needs are kept.
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school, so that they can help children with SEND to achieve the best progress possible.

The Head teacher is responsible for:

The day-to-day management of all aspects of the school; this includes the support for children with SEND.

  • Delegating responsibility to the SENCO team and class teaching teams, whilst retaining responsibility for ensuring that your child’s needs are effectively met.
  • Ensuring that the Governing Body is kept up-to-date about issues relating to SEND.

The SEND Governor is responsible for:

  • Making sure that the necessary support is given to any child with SEND who attends Netherfield Primary School


Tel:                   (0115) 961 0580

Q2: What are the different types of support available for children with SEND at Netherfield Primary School?

2 a) Quality First Teaching

For your child this would mean:

  • That the class teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • That all teaching is built on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • That different ways of teaching are in place, so that your child is fully involved in learning in class.  This may involve things like more practical learning.
  • That teachers use Dyslexic Friendly Strategies
  • That specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCO) are in place to support your child to learn.
  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked your child’s progress and will have gained an understanding as to what possible gap or gaps in their understanding/learning and needs to provide them with any extra support to help make the best progress possible.

2b) Your child might have Specific Group Work or an Intervention

Intervention which may be:

  • Run in the classroom or group room.
  • Run by a teacher, teaching assistant (TA) or Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO).

2c) Your child might also participate in a Specialist Intervention run by outside agencies e.g. Speech & Language Therapy, Physiotherapy,

SEND Support

This means a pupil has been identified a by the SENCO team/class teaching team as needing some extra specialist support in school and in most cases support from a professional outside the school.

This may be from:

  • Local Authority Services, such as the SFSS (Schools and Families Support Service), SEMH (Social Emotional and Mental Health) Team, Educational Psychology Services (EPS) or Sensory Service for students with a hearing or visual need.
  • Health Agencies such as the Healthy Families Team, Community Paediatrician, Mental Health Support Team

What could happen?

  • You will be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g. Speech & Language Therapist (SALT) or Educational Psychologist.  This will help the school and you to understand your child’s particular needs better and to be able to support them more effectively in school.
  • The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations as to the ways your child is given support.  This may lead to specific group or individual work being carried out.
  • With your written consent we could discuss your child at a Family Springboard meeting.

Family Springboard is a meeting where the Family of schools meet with representatives from the School and Families Specialist Services (SFSS) and Educational Psychology Service (EPS) to provide a forum for seeking mutual support and share expertise and negotiate the direct involvement of SFSS and EPS.

2d)  Specified Individual Support

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs might be severe, complex and lifelong.

This is usually provided via an Education, Health & Care Plan (EHCP). EHC Plans have now replaced Statements of Special Educational Needs.  This means your child will have been identified by professionals as having complex and lifelong needs for which a particularly high level of individual or small group teaching may be required.

This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.

Your child might also need specialist support in school from professionals outside the school.  This might be from:

  • Local Authority Services such as SFSS, SEMH, PDSS Teams and the Sensory Service (part of SFSS, for children with a hearing or visual need).
  • Outside health agencies such as the Speech & Language Therapy (SALT) Service.

For your child this could mean:

  • That you (parents) or school request that Local Authority Services carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs.  This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.
  • After the request has been made to the ‘Panel of Professionals’ (with a lot of information about your child including some from you) they will decide whether they think your child needs (as described in the paperwork) seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment.  If this is the case, they will ask you and all the professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs.  If they do not think your child needs this they will ask the school to continue with the current support.
  • After the reports have all been submitted, the ‘Panel of Professionals’ will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong.  If they decide this is the case they will write an Educational Health Care Plan (EHCP).  If they decide this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the current level of support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to provide the support your child requires to make as much progress as possible.
  • The EHCP will outline your child’s strengths, difficulties, the provision and strategies that should be in place.  It will also have long and short-term goals for your child.
  • An additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.

Q3:  How can I let the school know that I am concerned for my child’s progress?

If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should speak to a member of your child’s class teaching team initially.

If you continue to be concerned that your child is not making progress you may speak to a member of the SEND team or Home/School Liaison.


Mrs Carr, Ms White

Home/School Liaison

Mrs Balfe